I have been contemplating creating a blog for quite some time now. I wasn't sure what to write about though because to be quite honest I didn't think I had much to say. Of the topics I considered were, fashion, marriage, friendships, even cooking but one of my friends started a fabulous blog on cooking and I found out real quickly that I could never compare. So, I finally settled on pregnancy. Don't get the wrong idea...It is not that I settled per se but I tend to be more private about certain aspects of my life. I don't do Twitter or Facebook or Linked In. It is just not my style. I don't like to put it all out there the same way everyone else is doing things. I like to be unique. I like to do my own thing. Always have. Always will. So this blog gives me the chance to do two things I enjoy. Write, and share my story in a way that is all my own.
With that said let me give you a little background. If I remember this correctly from English in like 3 grade this would be called the plot. Basically, I have wanted to be a mom for quite a while. And to this point I think I probably harassed my husband Paul about this for the last 3 years before he finally agreed he was ready. All our friends were getting pregnant and having babies and I just felt like I was ready to join in the fun. Well one thing I have learned through all this is that you can never plan for big events in life. God has the plan already laid out. Good thing too because in retrospect the timing ended up being perfect just as He planned it. When we finally started the "trying" part of having a baby I have to admit I thought...okay this is going to be different. I have spent my adult years trying to not get pregnant and now I am actually trying to get pregnant. Kind of a weird transition for me.
For 8 months which seemed the equivalent to 8 years we tried and failed at getting pregnant. We tried everything from acupuncture to ovulation test strips to temperature taking and charting. I finally had made a call to the doctor for an infertility appointment and boom month 9 I got pregnant. Thank God too because I was really beginning to think Paul had thought I fell off the deep end. I in fact even thought I needed to self medicate a few times. It was only a passing thought but let me just say unless you have lived this same type of experience you have no idea how emotionally challenging it is.
So, back to the plot...On December 5th Paul got up early to head in to work. It was a Saturday and I had already secretly planned to get up while he was in the shower to take the pregnancy test. You see I had already tested so many times over the past months that I just couldn't handle another negative result in the presence of anyone else...even Paul. I thought if it was negative (and I assumed it was) that would give me a few minutes in the privacy of the John to cry without any interruption before I would go let Paul know and then crawl back in bed. So I grabbed my last pee stick, gave it a 5 second splash (because that is all it asks for) and set the stick on the ground. Almost instantly a + sign. Oh my gosh. No way. Crap I threw the box with the test result page out last month. Okay wait, a plus sign means positive right? That is just basic mathematics. But what if + means negative. No way. Can't be. I get up and run to the computer. Paul by the way is still showering. I sit down with a racing heart, pee stick in hand and go to ept.com. Searching...searching...searching...Test Results. A positive means you are pregnant! Holy Crap!!! I run to the hallway bathroom and can hear the shower had already been shut off. I fling the door open and Paul actually swings at me. I kid you not. For those who don't know me that well I am a sleeper. I love to sleep and I never get up early. So he freaked out because it was early and he had no idea I was up. So now he has swung at me and said some choice words I won't repeat and I slowly put my hand out with the test stick in it. He looks down...back at me...down again and says, "You're pregnant?" Yep! I sure am. We hugged and freaked out together for a few minutes and then he tells me to go get another test at the store to double check. He left for work (such is the life of a Mortgage Company owner) and I ran to Target for a different brand test. I get home...pee again and 2 lines. Positive!
I am now 16 weeks along and the first 4 months have been an amazing journey. We told our family and close friends right away. The response was screams all the way around. After I made it through the 12 week hump we told everyone else via Paul's Facebook page of course. I made it through 4 brutal weeks of morning sickness. Who knows why they call it morning sickness. I was sick all day and especially at night. Cooking was mostly out, the grocery store trips were fewer and farther between and even ice cream (my biggest weakness next to cheese) sounded awful. What the hell? I thought how could anyone want to go through this more than once. But afterward (it must be like childbirth) you kind of forget how bad it really was. The doctors visits have been fun. Seeing the baby develop from the first picture at 7 weeks which looks like a goldfish to the next picture at 13 weeks when it is sucking its thumb. Completely a miracle. That is all you can say. Luckily, I feel great now so I can just sit and simmer...Pick out bedding, select baby names and all that other fun second trimester stuff. I feel so blessed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment