40 Weeks & Counting

40 Weeks & Counting

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

MOO-ve Over Milkman

I felt the title of this blog was so fitting for two reasons. First, I feel like I am the size of a hefty dairy cow as of late and second, I am producing liquid from my "utters" at a speed that would make the milkman proud.

Although I have always been shall we say "blessed in the chest" I had no idea what I was in for when I got pregnant. Big boobs run in the family on both sides so I really had no chance from the time I was concieved. In fact, one of my most favorite final memories with my mom happened at the hospital about 2 months ago. I was there visiting as I did everyday and so was my Godmother. My mom was in an especially spunky mood that day and she started harassing me about how big my belly had gotten and in addition, how large my boobs looked too. She then proceded to lift up her shirt and lament about her bare pancakes and how old and saggy they were. She wanted to compare hers to mine so she begged me to show her the girls in all their glory. I of course consented and lifted my top and bra to showcase my boobs...all the while the three of us are laughing hysterically. My mom flipped out over my boobs...oh my gosh...they are HUGE...aren't they heavy?...can I hold one? Sure I said, to which she replied by reaching out and palming by boob and giving it a few shakes. Then she said...wow those are really heavy you poor thing...and your milk hasn't even come in yet. Then my mom turned to my Godmother and said...okay, we showed you ours now you show us yours. She didn't go for it but it was still absolutely hilarious and we laughed about it for quite a while.

So as I said before, my boobs have grown quite a bit since I got pregnant. In fact, they have now grown so much that they actually rest on my belly and boy is it a sight to behold. In fact, the other day Paul actually expressed concern for them being too big and smothering our childs face at feedings. Gee, thanks honey. As if I have any control over their size. They also have started producing this fabulous pre-milk liquid called colostrum. Generally it is produced right after giving birth and it feeds the baby for a few days until the real milk comes in but some people such as myself get to experience the joy of producing it early and in turn we get an early lesson in boob leakage. The first time this happened was about a month and a half ago. I came home from a day out and about running errands and I started to prepare dinner. I ran my hands over my belly and hit a wet spot. Wierd I thought...what did I spill? I looked down and pulled my shirt away from my body and there was a large wet spot along with several dry spots in the boob region. By golly my boobs sprung a leak. And, they did so while I was out running errands. How embarassing. No wonder the kid at Nuggett had this funky look on his face at the checkout counter earlier. I probably scarred him for life. Immediately I dialed one of my best girlfriends/lactation consultant who informed me it was totally normal and some people just start producing early...and that meant I needed to get nursing pads and start using them. Oh joy!

So the next day, I bought the first of many boxes of nursing pads and tried them out. Not too bad actually. I also went out and bought a couple nursing bras a few days later because I quickly learned that the girls also need sufficient coverage at night in bed as well. All this after I woke up to dried spots on my sheets. The best part though is when I get out of the shower and have not yet dressed and it starts running down my belly because as I said, my boobs rest comfortably on my belly these days. I mean honestly...you really can't help but laugh about it. And I am sure when my milk finally does come in it will be an even greater sight to behold. But, these girls will be London's breakfast, lunch and dinner so I better get used to it. In fact, our Lamaze coach informed us that the baby will eat anywhere from 8-12 times a day in the beginning. So, they will be getting more action than ever before. And between feeding London and pumping on the side we should have a full fledged Ueckert Dairy being run right out of our home in no time. Mooooooo!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahha! Just you wait 'til London cries and your boobs start to flow in response to her cry before you can even get her up there...! The human body is so totally amazing...

    Don't worry about the spots on your clothing - young moms can get away with it, unlike many of the rest of us!

    Love and hugs,
    Nonni Carol

    ReplyDelete