40 Weeks & Counting

40 Weeks & Counting

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Movin & Groovin

I have been reading two books as I have gone through this pregnancy. One is titled Pregnancy Week by Week and the other is titled What to Expect When You Are Expecting. They are both broken down in such a way that you can follow along either week by week or month by month and see how things are progressing for mom and baby. At around the 16 week/4 month mark both books began to talk about quickening which is the first sensations of the baby moving. They said it felt like butterflies or popcorn or little air bubbles and that most women think it is gas or hunger pangs until they have felt it enough to realize it is actually the babies movements. Generally these sensations are felt anytime between 16 and 22 weeks and all of my friends have said it is the best part of pregnancy so of course I could hardly wait to experience it. Since week 16 I have been waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and yesterday...I felt her! It was the coolest thing I have ever experienced. To me, being the over analyzer that I am, it didn't feel like butterflies, or buttered popcorn or whatever the heck they said, it felt like someone gently kicking the inside of my belly. Plain and simple, it felt amazing.

I had been having these sensations for a few days and had told Paul I thought it was the baby moving but since I had never felt it before I would quickly change my mind and determine it was gas or indigestion or something else. Yesterday though I was able to confirm my suspicions were correct and that was London in there movin and groovin. I think she must have really dug my food consumption yesterday which tells me she is a big fan of granola cereal, green chicken curry, mushroom risotto, asparagus, garlic bread and orange sherbet. Especially orange sherbet- girl after my own heart...she likes her ice cream just like her momma. It was fun though because I ate the ice cream and she started moving all over the place so I told Paul and he wanted to see if he could feel her even though I told him it was impossible- at least for a few more weeks. So, he did his nightly ritual of putting his hands on my belly and calling out to her while running down the dinner and dessert menu I had just consumed. And, as he did it she kicked! Just to say, "Hey Dad, I hear you." It was awesome. He didn't feel her but I sure did and that was so incredibly cool. After that she simmered down and I went to bed.

This morning, after my bowl of granola and milk I got ready for a shopping date with a girlfriend and realized I hadn't felt her move all morning. So after I got out of the shower and sat down in front of my mirror to apply makeup I grabbed my tummy and gave it a big jiggle- which is easy to do these days- and I said, "London, good morning...give me some good kicks today," and sure enough I got one. Right then and there...and I almost cried. The feeling is like nothing else and it just makes you realize how precious life is and how grateful we should be to God for all the amazing and miraculous blessings in each of our lives. Especially at this time of year during the Easter celebration. I love you London! Keep on kickin girl!

3 comments:

  1. That brought tears to my eyes. This is truly the best part of pregnancy and such a bonding expererience for both you and London. I cant wait to meet her.
    xoxoxox
    Nattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stage of your pregnancy will be full of wonderful experiences such as this! We are so excited for you and Paul to have all these"firsts" to strengthen your bond with London! Keep talking, reading and singing to her... The sound of your voices is comforting as well as exciting to her and will help to make her very smart!

    love to all 3 of you... Nonni Carol

    ReplyDelete